Senior Director of Learning and Talent Development
ABOUT BBBSEMO – www.bbbsemo.com – Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @bbbsemo
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Missouri is a growing organization and always focused on taking the best care of its many constituents. It is the 6th
largest affiliate in the nation and for over 6 years been the leader in quality service. It focuses its services on youth ages 5-25.
MISSION AND VISION OF BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF EASTERN MISSOURI
Mission – We build trusting and enduring relationships that encourage and support young people.
Vision – Young people will OWN their future; living a joyful life and earning a living wage.
AGENCY KEY RESULTS:
$5,343,000 Revenue, 75% 12 Month Match Retention, 1,200 New Applications, 1,875 in active mentoring relationships including K-12 and alumni; up to 20 active ABCToday Schools
: In this role, you will define, create, and lead the learning and development efforts, fostering a culture of continuous learning capable of supporting a foundation for growth and future success.
This role is critical to the success of the organization in realizing its overall goals and objectives related to the learning and development of all our constituents. The main focus will initially be creating the structure, programs and processes to develop and drive our organization-wide initiatives around agency culture, employee on-boarding, training, management/leadership development, and trainings designed for our Big Brothers and Big Sisters. The person in this role will need to be part visionary (to design, develop and oversee the programs that result in the overall growth and development) and part front-line deployment leader (to roll out and continually improve the programs). The position is located in at our headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri and will require occasional travel to our outreach offices, including St. Charles and Cape Girardeau. This position reports to the President and CEO and will be a member of the Strategic Leadership Team.
· Develop strategies, design processes and oversee all talent management practices including talent recruitment, review, and assessment, employee development, executive coaching, leadership development, organizational design, and human capital planning;
· Build an agency-wide learning platform that encompasses front-line to executive level employees. Deploy internal learning and development resources as appropriate to support the agreed-upon development strategy. Establish measurement systems to assess the success of learning and development strategies;
· Proactively collaborate with colleagues, business leaders and across HR to develop and embed talent management plans, research and learning programs that address both current and future needs;
· Oversee performance management practices, ensuring that all efforts are supporting the agency’s commitment to continuous real-time learning, coaching and feedback;
· Design and oversee leadership/management development programs;
· Hire and lead a small, yet impactful, team;
· Analyze, re-design and oversee agency onboarding program;
· Manage mandatory training programs in collaboration with Strategic Leadership Team members; and
· Identify, recommend and execute solutions to support the continuing health of the culture and climate, resulting in growing employee connection to mission, vision and values.
|Key Job Competencies
|Strategic Agility – Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
|Organizing – Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, and support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner.
|Results – Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
|Process Management –Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can’t; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
|Perseverance – Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing; especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
|Accountable – We rise above our individual circumstances and demonstrate the ownership necessary to achieve desired results. We live “above the line”, not “below the line”. We don’t make excuses for our shortcomings like “I didn’t know”, “that’s not my job”, “No one told me”, “I didn’t understand”, etc. We practice the four step accountability process of (1) SEE IT. (2) OWN IT. (3) SOLVE IT. (4) DO IT. We manage up.
|Adaptable – We are always open to change so our organization can respond quickly to a problem or opportunity. We understand that standing still or protecting the status quo is not a viable option. We are willing to jump in and make things happen. We focus on impact, use data, quantitative and qualitative, to make decisions, as close to the issue as possible. We understand that with each change there are new opportunities to improve our services AND advance our careers.
|Coachable – We are capable of listening, willing to take constructive feedback and make the necessary changes to be more efficient and effective.
|Confident – We approach our work with confidence giving our many audiences, internal and external, assurance that our brand and outcomes are worth the investment of their time, talent and treasure. We demonstrate our professionalism through our thoughtful work, professional appearance and clear and consistent communication. We regularly, formally and informally, communicate our successes and challenges, not only to our teams and supervisors but with others inside and outside the agency who may be of assistance. We know that EVERYONE is available to assist. We “communicate” with others in ways that can be “heard” and we understand the value of closing the loop in conversations. We also know how to apologize when necessary.
|Resilient – We are always determined to deliver the very best product/program/service AND reach our goals. We are hard workers. We love our work and understand that we must “study our craft” (i.e. read book and articles, attend learning/training sessions, seek out mentors) if we are going to maintain the highest program standards and grow professionally within a high performing agency. When we are knocked down, we focus on the positive, get back up and rebuild.
|Supportive – We recognize that life throws curve balls and some days are tougher than others. We are here to support each other. We show love and respect to all. We believe in teamwork. We work hard together, find time to enjoy each other and celebrate accomplishments, especially those where we have triumphed over great challenges and uncertainty.
|Grateful – We are thankful to ALL who give to our organization - Board of Directors, staff, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, individuals, corporations, foundations, government, in-kind donors (i.e. tickets to sporting events), holiday adopters, Anew renters, etc. We appreciate everyone’s generous engagement in our mission and we find meaningful and consistent ways to show our appreciation and share new opportunities.
|EDUCATION & RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
|EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Master's degree preferred; emphasis on Organizational Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Human Resources, or another related field;
· 5+ years of executive leadership, including talent and organization development strategy and execution experience.
· Strong bias for thoughtful action, highly relationship-oriented, accomplish work with and through others via purposeful collaboration;
· Experience working with all levels; ability to prepare and present to senior teams and Board of Directors
· Prior track-record of successfully building, inspiring, developing and managing a diverse, relevant scale talent and organizational development function for growing or transforming companies;
· Confident and self-aware; ability to use appropriate communication style for various levels across the organization;
· Proven track record as an influential change agent, championing, organizing and successfully and efficiently executing new ideas and initiatives;
· Business acumen, knowledge and maturity; understands all aspects of how a business operates, able to develop and articulate the value proposition of a new strategy, process or program;
· Excellent strategic planning and operational deployment skills; able to translate vision and strategy into clear efficient successes; and
· Strong project planning and management skills; able to manage multiple key projects simultaneously.
Typical Profile of a Big Brothers Big Sisters Team Member:
· Someone who knows how to make things happen.
· A thinker who can participate in a team environment to create and execute on new projects and goals.
· A self-starter who isn’t afraid to work hard. Really hard.
· Someone who understands what it means to “take ownership” and run with it.
· A planner who can map out the steps to success and follow through.
· Someone who is adaptable and quick on their feet.
· Someone who is curious – always on the lookout for the next opportunity, to create and/or improve.
|COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
|? Salary will be based upon professional and academic experience
? Immediate and 100% coverage on health and dental insurance.
? 10 paid holidays.
? 2 personal days per year following the first ninety days of employment.
? 10 days of paid vacation after one year of service.
? Flexible work schedule – including the opportunity for ½ day Fridays every other week after the successful completion of 3 months employment.
? Accrue 1 day per month of sick leave (can also be used for family illnesses) – can carry up to 30 days of sick leave.
? 401(k) – 3% match per year following first year of employment.
? .54 cents reimbursement on business miles and 100% of out of office parking for business meetings, etc.
? Life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance following the first ninety days of employment.
? 50% contribution toward daily parking in covered garage (employee covers approximately $26.00 per month).
? Annual raises based on performance, culture and agency’s ability.
? Innovative, empowering and autonomous work environment.
? Opportunities for advancement.
|WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
| Routine office environment. Flexible work hours to meet requirements/deadlines.
? Maintain a professional appearance (neat and well groomed).
? Respond professionally to visitors and callers.
? Ability to present and inspire our diverse service area.
? Maintain confidentiality and show discretion.
? Adhere to company policies and procedures.
? Represent organization in an ethical and professional manner.
? Maintain a complete knowledge of organizational structure, personnel names and titles.
? Remain calm under pressure
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
. No in-person or phone applications will be accepted. Please do not call or inquire in person.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBSEMO provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.